Software Development Apprentice
Keibra Apprenticeships have an excited new opportunity for a Software Development Apprentice, working from home on new and upcoming projects. This position will play a key part in supporting us to deliver an exceptional service to our customers, who are at the heart of everything we do.
What will the apprentice be doing?
Keibra are an exciting, growing apprenticeship training provider who are on the lookout for a talented and passionate Software Development Technician to join their own team.
If you have an inquisitive personality, effective communication skills, a passion for coding along with a desire to make a positive difference to our apprenticeship programmes then we’d like to hear from you.
- Building new monitoring and tracking systems for apprenticeship delivery
- Testing our platforms, fault-finding and flagging this to the wider team
- Helping to work on fixes
- Proactively monitoring our systems to identify common complaints and suggestions for improvement and presenting these to the wider team, helping to work on their roll-out
- We envision the responsibilities of this position growing at a pace set by the successful candidate – do you prefer to sit back and observe for a little while before getting involved? Or do you thrive when rolling your sleeves up and getting stuck straight in? Whatever works for you, works for us.
This is an opportunity to join a small, supportive, and hard-working team with a start-up ethos. Keibra provides IT & Cyber Security apprenticeships, but we also want to create our own bespoke monitoring and tracking systems for use throughout all training providers. You’ll be developing a product covering a wide scope, bringing with it an interesting and varied role with the chance to work with, and master, a myriad of technologies and skills. This role will offer opportunities for client liaison work which would require effective communication.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Keibra training programmes are delivered face-to-face by our own Subject Matter Experts, but you’ll have access to us 24/7. You'll get hands-on experience in all areas of software development with our bespoke scenario-based training sessions. You will learn that good, efficient coding is important but only when equally aligned with effective research, planning, design, and testing. The skills you learn and develop will be directly applied to our own software systems.
Throughout the apprenticeship our apprentice will also receive personalised 1-2-1 training sessions, coaching, help and guidance from a dedicated Subject Matter Expert who is there to ensure you get the most from your work experience.
Successful completion of this apprenticeship gives you an accredited Level 3 Software Development Technician, with training in how to:
- Create logical and maintainable codes for software development.
- Apply security best practice to the software solution throughout the software development life cycle.
- Apply appropriate recovery techniques to ensure the software solution being developed is not lost.
- Implement accurate and effective change control.
- Undertake unit testing of solutions, with appropriate levels of test code coverage, to identify and resolve issues.
- Apply suitable 'bug fixes' based on severity and priority.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
This role offers long term security and by working hard and demonstrating your ability, drive and commitment throughout your apprenticeship programme, upon completion you may be offered a permanent contract ensuring you have further opportunities to continue growing within this exciting organisation.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities:
- Strong willingness to learn
- Great time management skills, as you’ll need to work flexibly and under pressure
- Communication skills
- Ability to prioritise workloads and to know when to seek guidance
- An excellent phone manner
- A keen interest and proven ability of software development (education or self-tuition)
- Logical and creative thinking skills
- Fault finding/troubleshooting ability
- Understanding of general IT
Things to consider:
You must meet the following eligibility criteria to apply for the role: Have been a UK/EEA resident for the last 3 years, hold valid residency status and have the right to work in the UK.
About the employer:
Keibra are a Registered Apprenticeship Training Provider, delivering IT and Cyber Security apprenticeships to businesses across the UK. We are fundamentally a customer and service-focused organisation, dedicated to ensuring their customers’ receive the best possible training outcomes for their apprentices.